Monday, January 29

The Civil War letter...

It's odd how every Valentine's Day I seem to go back to this letter of Sullivan Ballou.
I don't remember where I purchased the stamp but it is a copy of the original letter, the FULL letter, and though it is hard to read you can read the letter here...
Sarah was his wife and he wrote this before a large battle.
and

The base card is kraft card stock with a layer of red card stock.
The main piece is colored by smearing Distress inks then spritzing and removing with a paper towel.
(I did that a few times to get the look I wanted.)
Once it was fully dry I stamped the letter (unknown company) using StazOn timber brown ink.
On another strip of kraft card stock I stamped the words from Kelly Creates set (this is a fun set that I purchased really inexpensively at Michael's in their art department) using the same ink.
I die cut the heart from the same red card stock using a Spellbinders heart.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, how cool is that background stamp....I will have to read that letter for sure. Your simple Valentine card is beautiful! So happy that shared this with us this week at the Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your distressed ink background is just lovely and a good way to highlight your letter stamp and add interest without detracting from the words themselves. Very clever! Thanks for joining us over at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your patience while I moderate the comments!